Efficiency ratings for wire rope end terminations are basedupon the catalog breaking strength of wire rope. The efficiency rating of a properly prepared loop or thimble – eye termination for clip sizes 1/8" through 7/8" is 80%, and for sizes 1" through 3-1/2" is 90%.
The number of clips shown (see Table 1 ) is based upon using RRL or RLL wire rope, 6 x 19 or 6 x 37 Class, FC or IWRC; IPS or XIP, XXIP. If Seale construction or similar large outer wire type construction in the 6 x 19 Class is to be used for sizes 1inch and larger, add one additional clip. If a pulley (sheave) is used for turning back the wire rope, add one additional clip.
The number of clips shown also applies to rotation – resistant RRL wire rope, 8 x 19 Class, IPS, XIP, XXIP sizes 1-1/2 inch and smaller; and to rotation-resistant RRL wire rope, 19 x 7 Class, IPS, XIP, XXIP sizes 1-3/4 inch and smaller.
For other classes of wire rope not mentioned above, we recommend contacting Crosby Engineering at the address or telephone number on the back cover to ensure the desired efficiency rating. For elevator, personnel hoist, and scaffold applications, refer to ANSI A17.1 and ANSI A10.4. These standards do not recommend U-Bolt style wire rope clip terminations. The style wire rope termination used for any application is the obligation of the user.
For OSHA (Construction) applications, see OSHA 1926.251.
1. Refer to Table 1 in following these instructions. Turn back specified amount of rope from thimble or loop. Apply
first clip one base width from dead end of rope. Apply U-Bolt over dead end of wire rope – live end rests in saddle (Never saddle a dead horse!). Use torque wrench to tighten evenly, alternate from one nut to the other until reaching the recommended torque.
2. When two clips are required, apply the second clip as near the loop or thimble as possible. Use torque wrench to tighten evenly, alternating until reaching the recommended torque. When more than two clips are required, apply the second clip as near the loop or thimble as possible, turn nuts on second clip firmly, but do not tighten. Proceed to Step 3.
3. When three or more clips are required, space additional clips equally between first two - take up rope slack - use torque wrench to tighten on each U-Bolt evenly, alternating from one nut to the other until reaching recommended torque.
4. If a pulley (sheave) is used in place of a thimble, add one additional clip. Clip spacing should be as shown.
5. WIRE ROPE SPLICING PROCEDURES:
The preferred method of splicing two wire ropes together is to use inter-locking turnback eyes with thimbles,using the
recommended number of clips on each eye (See Figure 5). An alternate method is to use twice the number of clips as used for a turnback termination. The rope ends are placed parallel to each other, overlapping by twice the turnback amount shown in the application instructions. The minimum number of clips should be installed on each dead end (See Figure 6). Spacing, installation torque, and other instructions still apply.
Apply first load to test the assembly. This load should be of equal or greater weight than loads expected in use. Next, check and use torque wrench to retighten to recommended torque. In accordance with good rigging and maintenance practices, the wire rope end termination should be inspected periodically for wear, abuse, and general adequacy.